That special kind of rain Saturday, October 14, 2023

  


The rain comes slowly at first, a few drops splattering on the concrete in my back yard, then as a steady drizzle, and finally a downpour.

This is not the warm spring rain that we welcome as a final relief to the chill of winter, but the introduction of the new season and the threat of cold we can expect.

Columbus Day weekend and our visit to Cape May marks the change, one marker Mollenkott, my literary professor at college used to dread, telling me how when I reached her age, I would dread it as well, Autumn signally the end of life, while I admired the change of leaves.

I’m less a fan of summer than she was, or for that matter spring, all symbolic of the dreariness of life, while dramatic autumn puts obstacles in front of us, a challenge to survive the cold, we lasting out the worst life can offer in order to see the spring again.

There is beauty in this transition, a meloncoly that I’ve felt almost from the day I first opened my eyes, craving those days when I could look out at the changing weather from the protection of my room in the old house or from the porch, as if the worst of life could not touch me.

I still feel that way, even though I’m now passed the age Mollenkott was when she gave me her dire warning.

In LA, I missed the rain most, even though winters there tended to have rain. It was never the same in a place that has no changing seasons, just the endless grind of sameness Autumn here defies.

I like Portland better because of the rain, and would sometimes stroll those streets without umbrella like a plant desperate for nourishment.

Now, I look out at the back yard from a room surrounded by windows, taking in the change, as the ivy that covers our fence and the walls of neighboring buildings turns red, and then eventually brown, before finally seeing each leaf drop to the ground, setting up our Thanksgiving ritual of raking and clearing away the poke berry in order to welcome winter and set up regrowth for next year.

I still get the same chills I got as a kid, feeling safe and secure, when in this life, nothing is safe enough or secure enough, our world constantly bickering over what is real or unreal, who is worthy or not.

I feel sad in a strangely pleasant way, as if I need these moments, this rain, in order that at some point, I might feel happy again.

This time of year always sets the tone for upcoming year, foreshadowing some issues I might face, a phone call one year with a friend whose death in January will make that call all the more important, or the hints of medical emergencies that might end me up in surgery the following spring.

When I lived in a rooming house in Montclair, I used to walk out into the local park just to feel the breeze and the kiss of drizzle, a strange kind of love making I crave.

In the end, it is these moments that mean the most to me, the sadness that promises to bring joy eventually.


Day to Day menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plagiarism strikes again Wednesday, November 15, 2023

All we can do Dec. 23, 2023

My favorite view Dec. 10, 2023