Back ache and black outs Dec. 16, 2023

 


I threw my back out yesterday.

This isn’t just a sign that I’m getting old. I’ve had back issues since those days when I worked at a baker back in the 1980s – apparently causing a weakness from one particular incident on one particularly wet and cold night when I swung the huge mixing bowl onto the work table, and heard and felt the crunch in my back.

Since then, I generally get struck with the ailment in winter, after a batch of cold and wet weather, such as we had here a few days ago. I also made the mistake of trying to take a bath yesterday morning rather than my usual shower, and believe this may have contributed to the issue.

Some episodes are worse than others. One time in the early 1990s, the episode was so horrible, I had to crawl from bed to bathroom and back, eventually getting treatment.

The most memorable of these, however, came over the New Years weekend 2001-2002 when I had to postpone going to Pennsylvania to see my kid. Because I had told my mother, who was then in a nursing home in Union City, that I was going, I didn’t think anything about not getting the typical ton of calls from her, only to discover she had died on New Years Eve.

This no doubt contributed to my back problems, and required me to see the doctor and get treatment before the wake and later the funeral, making me look and feel like an old man before my time.

The odd part of that was that my wife could not make any of these, but my ex-wife came instead, along with my kid, and at one point, standing in the front row of the church I attended as a kid I started to laugh – mid ceremony – drawing odd looks from my family and friends.

This was not pain. This was the sudden realization that my mother’s life long wish that I reunite with my first wife had been granted if only for those few hours of her wake, funeral and eventual burial.

Strategies for dealing with the ailment differ now. I have heat pad and a back massager to help cope with the early aspects, although ultimately, I have to seek professional help.

The fact that this ailment tends to strike around the holidays makes it seem like a Christmas tradition, something I should expect, such as coal in my stockings.

Needless to say, life goes on, and the chores need to get done. So, I’ll be doing the regular food shopping we traditionally do on Saturdays, and will most likely take our afternoon walk to the waterfront overlook as we do following shopping, back problems or not.

Fortunately, we managed to avoid the black out some people in New York suffered yesterday. We’re not trapped in an elevator or a subway.

My wife’s mother got trapped in a subway during the blackout of 1965, but fortunately the train had just left the station and so she and other passengers were able to walk back to the station and exit out onto the street above, dark and scarry, but out in the open.

We have not had a blackout since our first week in this house (knock on wood) and so, we’re luckier than many people in towns near us, who undergo these fairly regularly. We had a few at our hold house, but mostly during the summer, where we got to sit out on the front porch and look up and see the planets and stars – no usual for this close to New York City.

Anyway, life goes on, and I’m just glad to be alive.

 

   2023 menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plagiarism strikes again Wednesday, November 15, 2023

All we can do Dec. 23, 2023

My favorite view Dec. 10, 2023