The more things change Dec. 11, 2023

 

 

The rain came in spurts as I made my way to Secaucus for my usual Sunday laundry. I don’t always go to Secaucus, sometimes returning to the old neighborhood in Passaic -- as I will likely do next Sunday when I visit the grave of Peggy, and the graves of my ancestors in the other Lodi cemeteries, dating back to John the Baptist Sarti, who arrived here just after the Civil War.

But most weeks, I don’t want to travel that far as was the case yesterday, when I parked near the laundromat, put my laundry into the machines, then headed off to the Dunkin a block away for coffee, a Dukin I briefly worked for after I got fired from the Garfield Dunkin just before my wedding in October 1990 (a time when I had four part time jobs, three of them at different Dunkins, and a fourth as a cleaner for a firm that manufactured elixirs straight out of the 1800s.

My history with Secaucus goes back to the 1960s when Hank and I used to pass through it on our way to New York City, at a time when the highway still went through the center of town. Later, in the early 1980s, I came back to work in a Fotomat booth, situated in the middle of the Acme Parking lot (Acme having since given away to CVS), where I set up my typewriter and wrote my novels while waiting for customers – the old Library across the street still a library then, and though the bank’s name has changed, the bank is still a bank, a new bank has since cropped up where the Plaza Diner once stood, and the other bank on the other corner is now abandoned, real estate brokerage firms looking for someone to buy or rent that space.

Once I put my laundry into dryers, I walked passed old Chinese restaurant (recently closed and redeveloped into a new, more acceptable venue for the new generation slowly taking over our world), passed the shuttered bank, passed the 60-year-old drug store, and the series of stores along that block that included hair salons, travel stores and some office space, one of which once houses a video rental store (talk about something out of time), and then crossed to where the medial building stands, glancing briefly down the block, looking for the Secaucus Home News sign that used to hang out a small shop there, the 100-year-old community newspaper gone, if not forgotten, in this age where people stare into their cellphones for news.

The rain came as I crossed Paterson Plank to the other side where my bank sat – passed Charlie’s Corner bar, the founder of which once ran for president on a ticket that featured a pig.) ATMs allow me to withdraw money on Sundays, otherwise, I would have to make a special trip to Secaucus during the week. Once inside, the small lobby, the rain came heavier and I stood under the eves until it slowed again, and once it did, made my way back to the newspaper store where I bought a bottle of brandy and my weekly allotment of lottery tickets, before settling back in my car to write, a block from where I purchased my first (used) IBM PC back in 1990. The building is still there but changed colors.

All this seems trivial, of course, but it is the stuff that makes up our lives, the small details of our experiences and how things change and yet remain the same, and perhaps why I keep returning to this place each Sunday when I have a laundromat a block from my house.

I need to keep track of it all, to witness the changes, as I did back in the 1980s from my booth when they tore down the strip mall next to the Acme (including the original donut shop) and rebuilt it into something more acceptable to a modern mind, and later, when I returned to work here as a reporter (from late 1992 to early 2004), I watched more things change, and yet remain the same, small insignificant things that added up dramatic change in my life, the memory of what stood where, and what will never be seen again, and of what still endures, and may well endure long after I’m no longer here to witness it.

 

    2023 menu



email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plagiarism strikes again Wednesday, November 15, 2023

All we can do Dec. 23, 2023

My favorite view Dec. 10, 2023