Home Monday, October 30, 2023

 

 

I went home yesterday although home is defined by a number of places none of which are the one I have to live in now.

Part of the ritual of going back is stopping off at Peggy's grave where I had left a blue teddy bear a few months ago, blown off to someone else's grave but put back a number of times, still surviving the weather.

She, of course had, wanted a Paddington Bear and complained about the one that was stolen -- this in between her rants about the New York Giants

I pinned in New York Giants pin onto the lapels of the blue bear, repositioned it in front of her grave and then moved on, aware that next St Valentine's Day Eve will be the 25th anniversary of her suicide.

Our world is full of such sad moments, especially when I return again and again to find change.

My ritual is to go to the old laundromat, have a cup of coffee, write some and then wander the neighborhood. But the rain made it impossible to walk far. So, I drove passed the old apartment on Passaic Street and then up River Driver to the Route 46 bridge, cross into Clifton and the old house where I grew up on Crooks Avenue.



I parked just off Vernon on 1st Street and then took the slow walk up Crooks avenue past the old Dr Fraulo's House, passed the former Brett's house, passed my old house. across the gas station and then oddly enough I decided to go into the church where I had gone to mass and had all of my rituals of growing up Catholic.

There was some event going on that was not a mass, a bunch of kids and their nuns and some kind of rosary society and other things all associated with Christian teaching.

I sat back through it all until the video screen came on and became annoying and strolled back out into the rain down 1st Street to the car, the Paulison car driving to Trenton then from Trenton down Crooks to Paulison Avenue which at that point is Hazel Street and then down Hazel Street through another memory lane to where I lived for a year in the  Paulison Arms and then back onto the Passaic Street going towards route 3 ,stopping off at an old too familiar Park with its falls and it's geese.

With umbrella in one hand and camera in the other, I strolled around the centerpiece of the park, recalling those days when I was unemployed when I would come here to read after visiting the library. This was a place of Holiness, where there was a goose that used to chase the visitors. We called him mayor. He once chased my car with ill intent

The other memory here was when I was reading and a prostitute tried to get me to hire her, somewhat old at the time when I was still in my late twenties and there was something sad in the whole affair which I did not engage in, part of my own stupidity I guess I had a similar experience when younger in New York when I was in the village and a woman appeared to flirt with me only to turn out to be a prostitute as well I had no money and she let me go kindly letting me purchase a pack of cigarettes for her.



Even though Paulie never wandered into this park with me it always reminded me of him because of the library, because often I would drive him to the library and then come here by myself only to return to pick him up and take him home again another ritual home in that case being the apartment on Passaic Street

At the end of the day, I got back into the car drove back to the highway and headed for what is my real home, my current home, the place that shelters me from this storm, and yet all of my memories are back in those places I visited and perhaps even the burned down building in Montclair as well those places where I left a piece of myself and pieces that can never be recovered only revisited from time to time in the rain with an umbrella in one hand.


 Day to Day menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plagiarism strikes again Wednesday, November 15, 2023

All we can do Dec. 23, 2023

My favorite view Dec. 10, 2023