Written in sand October 15, 2023

 


 

Our former temporary boss was right about her writing; she really was the best in our office while she worked there.

The unfortunate part is that the new ownership in destroying the paper completely gutted the Archives and so to the general public her work is no longer available.

An inspiration to me since then I had kept all of her stories in my own archive and downloaded into my Kindle in order to reread hem the way I used to do another great writer for office years earlier, and the way I reread Orwell, Joseph Mitchell, Mark Twain and EB White.

More than once I've been tempted to post all of her stories on my blog but that's not my prerogative and the best I could do is simply read and reread the work she did while she was employed with us. (though I still cringe over the story she once wrote called Pizza man).

This is one of the great tragedies of modern media that the Legacy that you build online can sometimes vanish as if it never existed

As with her poetry, some of her work for our office remains highlighted in my mind my favorite pieces that I go back to again and again for inspiration

That is one advantage of having that archive in that it has become personal and a treasure much like her poetry, which I also collected.

Although I almost always wish for more poetry and more of her stories, I am very grateful for having them and to reread

It is just a shame that because of bad management of work has vanished for most other people.

This includes the archive of poetry that she posted on her blog for several years

It is a mystery as to whether she had a previous blog before she came to us full of other poetry although several times, she has alluded to it by posting or reposting things that I believe she had originally posted on another site long ago

The fact that she has moved on to video blogs is a positive since it continues a tradition of talented images and writing. As with almost everything she touches it turns to Gold but then disappears: her photography, her poetry, her news writing

This is a kind of reflection of the old artists from the Middle East who used to create masterpieces and sand and then watch the wind blow it away leaving only the memory images

I still recall some of her artwork that she briefly posted and see them in my mind's eye as images and designed to have the wind blow them away – leaving their image tattooed into me as a kind of permanent archive.

In the end I guess all of our art vanishes whether we like it or not and the best we can hope for is to leave a memory impression in somebody who treasures what we do enough to want to remember

I view her current videos with the same kind of temporary pleasure knowing that sooner or later she will evolve into something even more intricate.

                              Day to Day menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plagiarism strikes again Wednesday, November 15, 2023

All we can do Dec. 23, 2023

My favorite view Dec. 10, 2023