Hawk over Hoboken Dec. 20, 2023

 



 

Supposedly, the hawk I saw perched above the 9th Street station of the Light Rail is a good omen, although with the trains running whacky, I didn’t think so at the time as I waited for five trains to pass the other way on the wrong track traveling south, before mine arrived.

The Bible refers to the hawk as a sign of God’s power and authority, while for Native American it is a symbol of strength and protection, although had I see it in a dream, it might have been an ill omen.

In Africa, the hawk is seen as a symbol of faith, and courage in fighting for a noble cause.

The hawk sat in branches across the tracks from where I waited, in the trees that rose up the side of the Palisades so that people on that side of the track, protected by a roofed waiting area could not have seen the creature, but even those on my side of the track seemed not to notice, too busy glancing at their cell phones and getting steamed at the wait for our train.

I have often seen hawks in this neck of the woods, although further north, just beyond where Burr shot Hamilton, and generally, I looked down on these creatures in the trees below as I stood along the stone wall the bordered the top of the cliffs. Mostly, I saw them swerving in the wind over the river and the townhouses that bordered it, constantly moving, constantly on the hunt.

It seemed odd to see this creature so far down and so near human occupation, as if he had come down for a purpose, and I took it as a good sign, even though I had no indication as to what that sign might signify.



This was on my way home after dropping my car off at the shop, and later, I got a different kind of omen when I saw the amount of the bill for repair that equated exactly to the number of the beast.

I’m not normally superstitious, though I ache for some spiritual guidance, some spirit from beyond that might show me the way or indicate some more positive future.

My grandfather was extremely superstitious, and perhaps for good reason since he and his brother had the misfortune of starting their construction business just prior to the collapse of the Stock Market in 1929 and spent the next decade scrambling to survive, often forced to live in the houses they build because they could not sell them, and eventually, facing foreclosure, they moved back in with their mother in Garfield.

My grandfather called my uncle, Frank, his good luck baby because Frank was born on Easter Day in 1938, convinced that this was a sign from God that his luck was about to change. It didn’t. Or at least, not in the way he thought. When the war broke out, he horded raw materials in order to keep his business going, a violation that his mother reported.

His real turn around came with his mother’s death in 1944 when he and his sibling inherited wealth that allowed each to buy their own homes and start their own businesses – my grandfather making his fortune off the construction of bungalows in places like Toms River to accommodate the new trend for families to go to the shore each summer.

The hawk, of course, feeds into my own desire to find signs in the world that all is well, such as when I search the sea for signs of whales and dolphins. Indeed, seeing the whales off the Asbury Park beach early this fall had special significance, partly because of whom I was thinking about at the time, and how such creatures had helped me endure some of the worst moments of my life, especially a decade ago when I saw schools of dolphins off the coast of Cape May at the exact moment I needed to see them.

My life is filled with such moments, and so, standing there waiting for a train that I suspected might not come, I felt a sense of hope again, as if not everything was going to hell in a handbasket the way it seemed, and that if I keep faith things will once again returned to a state in which we can live peacefully.

All of this is too much to expect from seeing one poor hawk. But hell, if that’s all I got, I’ll go with it, especially because my car is back on the road, and I’ll eventually be able to make the trip west to see my kid again (I sent money and paid for a book she wanted) which is all I could do until I got mobile again.

But I guess, I’ll never stop looking for signs, whether they be dolphins, whales or hawks, small items in this vast puzzle we call life to help serve as guide posts. If the hawk means faith, then I’ll accept that as a gift.

 

 

 2023 menu


email to Al Sullivan

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plagiarism strikes again Wednesday, November 15, 2023

All we can do Dec. 23, 2023

My favorite view Dec. 10, 2023